Monday, October 24, 2011

This Could Be Real Interesting

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/281122/cain-gingrich-set-spar-robert-costa

A Gingrich-Cain extended debate.  Wow.  This is probably awesome news for Romney.  He should use some of his campaign funds to televise it.  The appeal for Gingrich is obvious: the Tea Party is the big bloc of the not-Romney crowd, and right now Cain is the favorite.  If Gingrich can deftly exploit Cain's weaknesses (and it is pretty obvious he has some) and present himself as the master and commander of the issues from the conservative high ground, certainly Gingrich's calculation is that he could be the one with the near 30% support.  This looks like a big risk for Cain, but also a big opportunity.  Gingrich will make substantive points and his critiques will not be cheap pizza jokes.  If Cain can rise to the occasion and hold his own, he could perhaps solidify his support as the not-Romney candidate.  But if not...

I don't know how much of a second look a Gingrich demolition of Cain would garner him.  I have the feeling that it would do more to give Perry a second look.  And I doubt Perry would be "willing to bump plans with you, brother" with Newt.  Especially if Gingrich makes Cain look (even more) uninformed.

Cain needs to bring his A game everywhere.  But especially if he steps into the ring with Gingrich.  Because I'm sure there will more than just sparring.

--dmac

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

We're a group of conservative guys passionate about politics.